A wonderful friend of mine from Mississippi sent me an email the other day entitled 2012 Handbook. An excerpt from the email is as follow:
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
3. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants..
4. Live with the 3 E’s — Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy
5. Make time to pray.
6. Play more games
7. Read more books than you did in 2011
8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day
9. Sleep for 7 hours.
10. Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile.
It was #3 that grabbed my attention since my health and diet have been on my mind so much this year. I thought , I should write that out and tape it to our refrigerator!! We are eating a lot more fruits and raw veggies than we were previously. And I like it! I really do! Fresh berries are so much more yummy and good for my body than Oreos! lol.
But I began to reflect on the some of other ones on that list as well that pertain to diet and exercise.:
1. Drink plenty of water… there is lots of evidence, both scientific and anicdotal, that drinking more water is good for us. Being properly hydrated helps our mood, helps our cognition, aids digestion, helps our muscles be more efficient and aids in the elimination of waste from our body.
2 . Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar. … Breakfast is called just that because we are breaking the fast that we have been undergoing overnight while we sleep. It’s the meal where we give our body the fuel, yep the FUEL , that we need to do all of our daily activities. You don’t set out on a long day of errands with a gas tank on empty now do you? So don’t do that to your body either! Filler up with a full tank so your body can function at peak performance! Lunch should be a recharge… only fill up as much as you need to sustain you for the rest of your day’s activities. And the evening meal should be your wind down. Don’t load your intestines up with heavy foods before bed. Do you fill up your gas tank with high octane fuel before bed and leave it idling in the garage all night? What a waste that would be. Don’t do it to your body either!!
10. Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile. … Move that body!! Stretch those muscles get that heart rate up! Even if for just a few minutes at a time. I work from home and my, um , expansive, hind quarters are parked in a comfy leather computer chair with arm rests most of the day. But I make it a point to check myself. I get up and walk around at least once an hour…. I walk to the front of the house to see what the neighbors are up to, I move laundry from the washer to the dryer, I spend a few minutes with the dogs or go get another glass of water. Anything at all to get up and move!! Push a broom, pace the house, go check the mail. Whatever, just get moving! If you don’t burn that fuel you are giving yourself daily, it ‘s gonna get stored… Just like mine did… You’re gonna end up with too much “junk in your trunk”!! lol. and for goodness sake,…. smile, laugh, giggle, guffaw! Laughter is good, so good for the soul!! 🙂
Ok that’s it for now. But let me leave you with two things this evening.
1. A web site … PaleoHacks
2. A video Paleo In a Nutshell